Getting Out of a Rut
We all go through rough patches where we can get discouraged and disheartened, and when you are an entrepreneur, especially one that works alone, it can be really hard to pull yourself out of it. So I decided to compile a list of things that can help get back into the groove. I was also interested in hearing how others approach this so in an Instagram post, I asked, and some of my favorite entrepreneurs answered. Their answers are included below. Let us know what you think in the comments. Also, if you have any ideas that you would like to share, I would love to hear them!
- Try to get outside for a bit. Even if you can't make it past the doormat, move your body, and breathe in some fresh air.
- Do an act of service for someone less fortunate. Giving back is good for the heart, soul and mind.
- "Buy myself flowers. I also meditate or remember something I did really well in my life, and it was really well received, and I just sit back in that time... They say you should never look back but it makes me happy when it's something positive." - @smileansparkle
- "I like to revamp my space a little bit to stay fresh and creative." -@alexberlyn
- Write yourself a letter from the perspective of your best friends. Write down all the caring and supportive things they would say.
- Watch something uplifting or inspiring on YouTube or Netflix. Click here for a list from entrepreneur.com for their 6 Must-See Motivational Videos.
- "I absorb as much media as I can to get inspired again, or find something that has character that relates to my own experience. Sometimes we need to find art other people make to make art ourselves." -@tinderet
- "Sometimes I like to force myself to do the thing that I know I wouldn't normally do. Go places that I would normally avoid, and often times I find myself learning things I wouldn't have normally learned." -@casiomccombs
- Make someone else's day. Buy the person behind you in line some coffee.
- Journal. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Write down what you did that day. Just write. This can be clarifying and freeing.
- For me, something simple like putting on my favorite lipstick (Red Lizard by Nars) makes me feel a little bit better about getting outside and trying to conquer the world. ;)
- "When I'm in a rut, I do some simple baking. Being in control, doing something different and succeeding at making something makes me feel better. Plus, I get to eat the baked goods if I'm still not quite feeling myself." -@beyondbooksapp
- "Take a class or try an activity you've never done before but always wanted to! That's actually how we started Djing!" -@nopantspartydjs
Thank you for taking the time to read through this especially if you are feeling less than. It's very normal and very ok to get in a funk every once in awhile. You can pull yourself out of it, and you are not alone. If you ever feel like you are in a creative rut or social media funk, please email me anytime at email@example.com, and we can set up a free 15 minute consultation.